07 July 2005

Daddy Dearest

I remember the stories of how you used to

drive me around in your car each night

so I could fall asleep;

the tales of you bringing me with you

everywhere you went – be it the office,

meeting, or in a nightclub.

I remember the twinkle in your eyes

and the warmth in your smile when you’d speak

of me to relatives and friends with great pride;

how you’ve always been there for me whenever

I needed you – be it for help or just your company.

I remember the first time a boy called me at home

and how you fretted and fumed;

the times you’d threaten and ask for a shotgun

for all those times a boy would call on me;

the approval you had of my husband

when he came a calling, which helped me know

he was the one for me.

I remember you preferring to take cab rides

just so I wouldn’t have to

and use the family car and driver, instead.

I remember the first time you saw and carried

my son in your arms and rocked him to sleep;

the times after that you’d hold his hand

or give him special attention and care.

I remember you scrounging for gifts

to give my children when you really

could not afford to give them any.

I remember you always making us

your children and grandchildren come first.

For all this and more I love you

and thank you for being the greatest dad

I could ever have.

No comments: